Thursday, October 19, 2006

The drinkin' life of Journos..

At work today, I snuck out for "lunch" and was somehow was reminded of this Pete Hammil quote:


After they gave me my first Working Press card, I brought my
familiar sense of entitlement to the bar of the Page One every
morning. Those mornings were free of the limits of time, and I
would drink with McMorrow, Grove, Poirer, and others, while
fishmongers made deliveries and the day-shift guys showed up for a
morning pop before starting at ten. The Page One was the
headquarters of the fraternity, a place completely devoid of
character except for the men at the bar, a way station for all the
whiskey-wounded boomers of the business who passed through on their
way from one town's paper to another

1 Comments:

At 3:02 PM, Blogger david ressel said...

more good news

nbc to lay off 700, consolidate MSNBC NJ offices to NYC.

The television news restructuring is a reflection of how the industry is changing, Zucker said. “The growth in news is in different places — it’s online, it’s on wireless.”

 

Post a Comment

<< Home