Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Beat stuff

Sree is putting together the beat database. This is a great tool. Last year, we created our own contact lists, and all the folks who had a beat ( I was Long Island City) from different classes met and coordinated visits to the key folks. For example, the District Manager for the Community Board does not want to meet 10 columbians individual to give the same talk about issues. But,if you can get together, it makes a nice entree with folks you may want a lot from later.

Also some folks became "beat friends" ( not like Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg)

called each other on later nights.... hung out at the same place...

Same goes for police, and some other civic leaders. There are tons of local associations.

Also some folks became "beat friends" ( not like Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg)

called each other on later nights.... hung out at the same place...

Last year, doing my beat note,I did run into some columbized folks. A member of a local B.I.D. said, "If you are from Columbia, I will NOT talk to you. You folks show up and take our time and nothing." Later he almost relented, if I would show him some clips. I finally found a different person in the office to interview. You have heard this before, but bears repeating.Some folks hate you already. Niceness might help. Some folks are dying to talk to you. Just have to find the right ones, and hope they are not too crazy. I ended up spending an long afternoon with an ok source. At the end he told me how much he enjoys Columbians coming to talk to him every year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home